Your Questions Answered

What is an Exclusive Listing?

You grant Maris the right to be the only company that sells your property.

What are the advantages of an Exclusive Listing?

Giving Maris exclusive rights to sell your property has multiple advantages over an open listing, including:

  • Personal Touch: You work with one Agent, who you know, and who will always be available to take your call.
  • Loyalty: We are committed to each other, and share the Seller’s Journey together, from start to finish.
  • You Matter: We will put all the time & effort possible into selling your property for the best price, as we know that our hard work will pay off.
  • Intimate Relationship: We will take the time to get to know you, and your property intimately, and make sure that you not only find the best price, but also the right buyer.
  • Tailored Service: We will work with you to take all the necessary steps to improve the saleability of your property, from recommending renovations to building information packs in the local area.

There are other advantages too, but to sum it up, you get a highly skilled Agent who takes their time, and works on your behalf, rather than rushing for a quick sale to earn their commission.

What do I get from signing an Exclusive Agreement with Maris?

You get to sleep soundly at night knowing that your Agent is working hard to make sure you get the best deal possible.

Can you guarantee that you will sell my property in a set period of time?

No. No one can.
We can guarantee that we will do our best to sell your property quickly, and for the right price.

Do you cooperate with other Agencies?

Yes. We have multiple Partner Agencies across the world to ensure your property reaches the right buyer.

Can I work with another Agency if I have an Exclusivity Agreement?

No. Not until the Agreement expires.

How long does the Exclusivity Agreement last?

A typical Exclusivity Agreement lasts 12 months.

How much is the Brokerage Commission and who pays it?

3% of the sale price + VAT paid by the seller.

What other costs are involved?

In general, you will have to pay for any renovations and repairs, and any government fees to obtain documentation.

You will also have to pay for any additional services you decide to use, such as professional video production, home staging, or disposal costs for items you don’t want to take with you.

With land, you would also have to pay to have the land cleared, insured, and to obtain documentation, such as planning permissions or infrastructure connection terms.

What happens if I’m not happy and want to cancel the Contract?

Every contract is different, but in short, they have a buyout clause that covers the time and marketing expenses taken so far.

It’s a worst-case scenario, and rarely happens, but we recommend talking to your Agent before you make any decision, and ask about the clause in your particular case before signing the Exclusivity Agreement.

Why would I cancel an Agreement & what are the alternatives?

This is deeply personal, and everyone’s reasons vary.

The main reason we’ve encountered is people deciding they don’t want to sell their property after all.
But if it's because you don’t feel the property is being marketed properly, you aren’t getting the viewings, and offers you expected, we recommend calling your Agent.  

Having an open, honest conversation is much more likely to yield the results you want, rather than cancelling the Contract and starting again somewhere else. 

Can I sell my home myself?

You can, but it’s not easy. You need time, knowledge, and a marketing budget.

Just remember that if you decide to take this route, it will take much longer, you are less likely to get the price you deserve, and you will need a lawyer to help with all the paperwork.

Why should I hire an Estate Agent?

An experienced Estate Agent makes the whole sales process as painless as possible, and their fees are covered through a combination of the time they save you & the price difference between them selling your property for you, and what you would get selling it yourself.

What improvements will help me sell my home?

Little things make a big difference. Small acts like painting the walls, tidying the yard, and changing the faucets all make a big difference.

For more information check out the Sellers’ Survival Guide

Should I leave the property empty or stage it?

Studies have shown that 95% of staged homes sell 87% faster than an empty property, and for 17% more, meaning that you usually recoup the expenses.

How much is my home worth?

We don’t know until we’ve done a full valuation of your property.

Can I determine how much my home is worth from a website?

No. The valuation process is complicated, and online estimations don’t reflect true market value.

Why is there a difference between the official Court Expert's Estimate & the selling price you suggested?

Court estimates are primarily used in court disputes & in official government statistics, are based on tax statistics, and don’t follow current market trends. That makes them fairly rigid, and don’t always accurately reflect the true market value of your property.

Yes, we take the court estimates into account when valuing your property, but it is just one of the factors we consider when working out what your property will sell for.

Should I price my home higher to leave room for negotiations?

No, sellers who overprice their properties ultimately waste both time & money.
Due to an increase in educated buyers, well-priced properties sell quickly and close to the listing price. 

Should I be present during viewings?

No, it makes buyers uncomfortable.

What documents do I need when selling a house?

It depends on the house, but here are a few of the common ones:

  • Land Registration Excerpt (Owner List).
  • Building Permit or other document approving construction.
  • Certificate of Use.
  • Copy of the Cadastral Plan with the latest updates.
  • Energy Certificate.
  • If the property was in the legalisation process, then you need a document called a solution to the derived state.
  • Finally, if the property was built before 1968, you need a Certificate with the Cadastre that the property is recorded in the Cadastral Office before 16.02.1968. and a Use Permit for buildings built before 16.02.1968.

What documents do I need when selling an apartment?

  • Land-up Excerpt (Owner Certificate) of the central unit to be sold.
  • Building Permit or other document approving construction depending on the date of issue.
  • Certificate of Use.
  • Floor Study with the Floor Plan of the apartment, and the calculation of the surface and coefficients for the premises.
  • If the property was in the legalisation process, then you need a document called a Solution to the Derived State (which replaces the Use Permit).
  • Copy of the Cadastral Plan with the latest real estate situation.
  • Energy Certificate.

What documents do I need when selling land?

Land List Excerpt (Owners Certificate).

  • A copy of the Cadastral Plan & location information.
  • The conditions of connection to infrastructure.

Note: The last point is very important, and has the largest impact on the land value.

What’s an Energy Certificate, and who needs it?

The Energy Certificate gives you the energy grade for the property, and it needs to be renewed every 10 years.

Basically, everyone selling or renting out a property needs one, although there are exceptions once you own the property, such as if it’s a holiday home or a holiday let.

I have an Old Stone House, what documents do I need?

Until 2014, you only needed a Certificate from the Cadastre that the property was built before 1968, but the number & type of floors, external size of aboveground and underground parts, position on the plot & purpose were not visible.

Nowadays, all of that is included in Real Estate Use Permit for properties built before 1968. 

What’s Location Information?

Basically, everything you need to know about a plot of land & what it can be used for, and the first thing potential developers will look at before buying land.

How do I know my property has Legal Access?

You need to check the data on review in the Land Book at the local Land Registry as well as whether the access road meets all urban planning constraints such as, for example, the minimum width requirement.

Why do I need to know the conditions of connection?

Developers will need to know that the land can be connected to the roads & infrastructure networks. If it can’t be connected, they won’t want it.

Obtaining this document yourself not only saves you time, but potentially increases the value of your land.

What’s the most important thing when selling land?

Whether the land can be connected to the infrastructure network, and the distance to existing utilities, such as power cables & sewage systems. 

Does the Seller pay tax when selling a property?

There are 2 situations where you would pay tax:

  1. If you have owned the property for less than 2 years & are selling it at a profit.
  2. If you are selling three or more identical properties within 5 years.